How To Apply
Events & Deadlines
|Tuition & Fees; Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to Saint Benedict Catholic School! We are honored that you are considering us for your child’s academic development. It is our mission to educate the whole child. Our Latin based curriculum has proven that it can provide your child with an excellent foundation for continued studies. The emphasis on art, music and drama in addition to the core subjects provides a broad context in which the child can learn to think, read, compose and communicate.
Established in 1919 we are in our 93rd year of providing children the best academic foundation in the City of Richmond. Saint Benedict Catholic School has an average enrollment of approximately 200 students from junior kindergarten through eighth grade. We provide an excellent classical education that sets forth the important relationship between faith and reason.
We are blessed with a Neo-Renaissance architecture, and each year we undertake major renovations to provide the best environment for your child. This year we renovated another classroom and the school clinic. During Christmas break we will be making improvements to our art room. We are very proud that our art teachers work not only in our parish school but also at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
This admissions packet will give you an insight into the fine academic program that we can provide for your child. We know that you are the primary educator of your child and we want to assist you in this awesome responsibility.
We invite you to visit Saint Benedict Catholic School. It is here through challenging academics and Catholic formation that we approach learning with joy and virtue and prepare our young students to answer the challenges of their ever changing world.
Please contact our Admissions Office at (804) 254-8850 or email: email@example.com for more information.
Father James. F. Kauffmann, S.S.L.
Saint Benedict Catholic Church
Sean E. Cruess, M.Ed.
Saint Benedict Catholic School
How To Apply
The following information must be completed in order to be considered for admission to Saint Benedict Catholic School.
Please contact Admissions at 804-254-8850 with questions.
- Complete application and return with a $50 non-refundable application fee per child.
- Complete the Transcript Request Form. Information provided by the applicant’s current school. Completed transcript should be mailed directly to the Principal and/or Director of Admissions in a sealed envelope.
- Preschool Reference Form to be completed by child’s current preschool (K applicants). Form should be turned in directly to Principal and/or Director of Admissions in a sealed envelope.
- Schedule an appointment for the applicant to shadow during a regularly scheduled school day (Grades 1-8).
- Schedule a time for the applicant to complete pre-admission QUIC tests. (Grades 2-8)
The following documents are required:
- Completed Transcript Request Form (as outlined above).
- Copy of report card with faculty comments (both current and previous two years).
- Standardized test scores (both current and previous two years).
- Copy of school entrance physical exam form and completion of clinic health form.
- Copy of immunization record.
Please note: Applications with complete documentation are required in order to be eligible for acceptance (this includes immunizations and school entrance physical). As openings become available, families will be notified by mail in regard to their child’s status.
Admission is not considered complete until the tuition agreement is signed and returned.
Events & Deadlines
|August 14, 2014||New Parent Orientation – 6-7:30|
|November 6, 2014||Open House – 6:30-8:00|
|January 10, 2015||Jr. Kindergarten and Kindergarten screening for Parishioners/Siblings – 9:00am|
|January 25, 2015||Open House – 1:00-2:00pm|
|February 7, 2015||Jr. Kindergarten and Kindergarten screening for all – 9:00am|
|March 1, 2015||Financial Aid Applications Due|
|April 2015||Diocese Financial Aid Award Letters Mailed|
|May 2015||Saint Benedict Financial Aid Award Letters mailed|
|March through August 2015||Screening by appointment|
Tuition & Fees
1 Student $5,485
1 Student $7,925
2 Students 9,870
2 Students 15,070
3 Students 12,825
3 Students 22,575
4 Students 14,140
4 Students 29,900
(5) Full Days $5,485
(5) Full Days $7,925
(5) 1/2 Days 3,950
(5) 1/2 Days 5,500
(4) Full Days 4,500
(4) Full Days 6,500
(4) 1/2 Days 3,250
(4) 1/2 Days 4,500
(1) Full Day 1,225
(1) Full Day 1,725
(1) 1/2 Day 900
(1) 1/2 Day 1,200
One time fees:
Application Fee $50/student
This fee is paid when submitting an application for enrollment.
Registration Fee $250/student
This fee is paid upon acceptance to reserve a spot in the grade.
Tuition Fee $200/family
In addition to tuition, there are some additional annual fees for each student. They are as follows:
Classroom Dues: This is a $35/per student fee that is paid once at the beginning of the year. It serves to pay for each grade to support “Feeding the Homeless” as well as the purchase of supplies to make an auction item for the Spring Gala fundraising event.
Technology Fee: Is a $35/per student fee that enables the use of the iPad and its various educational applications.
Uniforms: Uniforms can be purchased through Flynn & O’Hara. They can be contacted either online at www.flynnohara.com or by visiting their Richmond store in the Stein Mart Shopping Center at 9722 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond, VA 23235. There are also used uniforms available for purchase throughout the school year. Items are $2/each. Please see front office for more details.
For those who qualify for need-based aid, partial and full grants are awarded annually through the Parish/School Endorsement and Oktoberfest School Fund. We encourage all eligible students to apply and will assist you in completing the simple process. Of course, confidentiality will be carefully maintained.
All families seeking financial aid from Saint Benedict Catholic School must complete a Financial Aid application with FACTS. This includes completing a Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) and uploading supporting tax documents by March 01, 2014.
The following information is required in order for FACTS to process your application:
- Completed online application http://www.factstuitionaid.com.
- Payment of the $25 application fee.
- Copies of both parents’ 2013 W2s and 1040s, including all schedules.
- Copies of supporting documentation for Social Security Income, Welfare, Child Support, Food Stamps, Workers’ Compensation and TANF.
- Fax supporting documents by March 1, 2014 to: 1-866-315-9264 (access to FAX machines may be available at our school)
FACTS will verify tax documents, review the PFS, and recommend an estimated family contribution. Based upon FACTS recommendation, the school’s financial aid budget, and overall need of the applicant pool, the Financial Aid Committee will determine and communicate awards the first week of May 2014.
Additional Financial Aid Opportunity
The Catholic Diocese of Richmond will make financial aid available to all who seek a Catholic education within the confines of the Catholic Diocese of Richmond from a special fund, McMahon Parater Foundation for Education (MPF). In order to qualify for these funds, families must have completed a FACTS application form.
Financial Aid FAQs
- Will applying for financial aid affect my child’s chance for admission?
- No. A student’s acceptance to school is based on merit without regard to the need for financial aid.
- How is my financial aid determined?
- Financial aid awards are based on available funds, the number of applicants applying for aid, and the financial needs of the family. Once the application has been submitted, the application process through FACTS will take approximately two to four weeks. Please note that once FACTS has established an award amount, the Diocese of Richmond will then review and notify the Principal, Mr. Sean Cruess, of any additional awards. The family will then be notified when a final award amount has been decided.
- After receiving the financial aid award, we still simply can’t afford the tuition. Is it possible to appeal the financial aid committee’s decision?
- Our committee will reconsider any written information that was not previously considered. If you feel that you have omitted or not appropriately clarified specific financial information, mention this in your written appeal. All appeals must be received by the school principal, Mr. Sean Cruess within one week of the original award.
- If we are awarded financial aid this year, will we have to apply for aid each year?
- Yes, you will. Families of returning student(s) are required to re-apply for financial aid. The deadlines for filing for financial aid are the same for returning students as they are for new students and should be strictly met. It is also imperative that bills from the current school year be paid up to date at the time of applying for financial aid for the next school year.
- Why choose Saint Benedict Catholic School?
- We are dedicated to providing a comprehensive education that aims to develop every capability of every student. Catholic tradition and challenging academics help our students approach learning with joy and virtue, integrating faith and reason, and cherishing the pursuit of wisdom and truth.
- Do you have to be Catholic to apply?
- Saint Benedict Catholic School is a faith-based school that is open to both Catholic and non-Catholic families. Priority enrollment is standard for siblings of currently-enrolled students, followed by parishioner families, non-parishioner Catholic families, and then non-Catholics.
- What grades are offered?
- JrK through eighth grade.
- What are school hours?
- 8:10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. (Note JrK hours vary by program selected)
- Kindergarten is a full day
- Before school care is available beginning at 7:30 a.m. (Cost is $1 per student per day)
- After school care is available until 6 p.m. (Additional cost; full time discounts are given)
- Is financial aid available and how/when do I apply?
- Need-based financial aid is available (see enclosed info sheet). All applicants for aid are made online at www.factstuitionaid.com. Note: Applications are due in February for the upcoming academic year.
- Do you have resources for children who are above grade level or need extra help?
- Middle school students will have the opportunity to graduate with high school credits in algebra I, earth science, Latin I, or Spanish I.We are fortunate to have extremely qualified teacher aides who provide additional assistance outside the classroom in grades K-2, as well as licensed Title 1 Resource teachers for all grade levels.
- Where do graduates typically attend high school?
- As you will see in the school acceptances summary, our students attend both Saint Gertrude High School and Benedictine College Preparatory, in addition to prestigious private and public high schools offering challenging specialty baccalaureate programs.
Thank you for your interest in Saint Benedict Catholic School. We look forward to assisting you with the application process. Please contact Admissions at 804-254-8850 or firstname.lastname@example.org.