Admissions Welcome How To Apply Events & Deadlines
Dear Prospective Family,
Welcome to Saint Benedict Catholic School! We are honored that you are considering us for your child’s academic development. It is our mission to educate the whole child – mentally, physically, and spiritually. Our classical curriculum provides your child with an excellent foundation for their studies, now and in the future. Our great appreciation of art, music and drama, in addition to the core subjects, provides a broad context in which children can learn to think, read, compose and communicate.
Established in 1919 in Richmond’s Museum District, Saint Benedict Catholic School has a well respected history of providing children a wonderful, faith-filled, academic foundation. Today we have an average enrollment of approximately 200 students from junior kindergarten through eighth grade. Key to our program is our Latin-based, Catholic, classical education which sets forth for our students the important relationship between faith and reason – teaching our children how to think critically about the world around them, in light of our Creator.
This admissions packet will give you an insight into the fine academic program that we can provide for your child. We know that you are the primary educator of your child, and we want to assist you in this awesome responsibility.
We invite you to visit Saint Benedict Catholic School. It is here through challenging academics and Catholic formation that we approach learning with joy and virtue and prepare our young students to answer the challenges of their ever changing world.
Please contact Stacey Gormley, Director of Admissions at (804) 254-8850 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Father Anthony Marques, Pastor Sean E. Cruess, M.Ed, Principal
Saint Benedict Catholic Church Saint Benedict Catholic School
How To Apply
The following information must be completed in order to be considered for admission to Saint Benedict Catholic School. Please contact Admissions at 804-254-8850 with questions.
- Complete application and return with a $50 non-refundable application fee per child.
- Complete the Transcript Request Form. Information provided by the applicant’s current school. Completed transcript should be mailed directly to the Principal and/or Director of Admissions in a sealed envelope.
- Preschool Reference Form to be completed by child’s current preschool (K applicants). Form should be turned in directly to Principal and/or Director of Admissions in a sealed envelope.
- Schedule an appointment for the applicant to shadow during a regularly scheduled school day (Grades 1-8).
- Schedule a time for the applicant to complete pre-admission QUIC tests. (Grades 2-8)
The following documents are required:
- Completed Transcript Request Form (as outlined above).
- Copy of report card with faculty comments (both current and previous two years).
- Standardized test scores (both current and previous two years).
- Copy of school entrance physical exam form and completion of clinic health form.
- Copy of immunization record.
Please note: Applications with complete documentation are required in order to be eligible for acceptance (this includes immunizations and school entrance physical). As openings become available, families will be notified by mail in regard to their child’s status.
Admission is not considered complete until the tuition agreement is signed and returned.
Events & Deadlines
|August 23, 2015||New Parent Orientation|
|November 2015||Open House – 6:30-8:00|
|January 2016||Jr. Kindergarten and Kindergarten screening for Parishioners/Siblings – 9:00am|
|January 2016||Catholic Schools Week Open House|
|February 2016||Jr. Kindergarten and Kindergarten screening for all – 9:00am|
|March 1, 2016||Financial Aid Applications Due|
|April 2016||Diocese Financial Aid Award Letters Mailed|
|May 2016||Saint Benedict Financial Aid Award Letters mailed|
|March through August 2016||Screening by appointment|
Tuition & Fees
1 Student $5,740
1 Student $8,300
2 Students 10,330
2 Students 15,790
3 Students 13,500
3 Students 23,685
4 Students 14,960
4 Students 31,580
(5) Full Days* $5,740
(5) Full Days* $8,300
(5) 1/2 Days 4,130
(5) 1/2 Days 5,760
(4) Full Days 4,705
(4) Full Days 6,805
(4) 1/2 Days 3,400
(4) 1/2 Days 4,570
(1) Full Day 1,280
(1) Full Day 1,805
(1) 1/2 Day 945
(1) 1/2 Day 1,260
* The multi-child discount only applies to students who are (5) Full Days.
One time fees:
Application Fee $50/student
This fee is paid when submitting an application for enrollment.
Registration Fee $250/student
This fee is paid upon acceptance to the school for grades K-8.
Tuition Fee $200/family
In addition to tuition, there are some additional annual fees for each student. They are as follows:
Classroom Dues: This is a $35/per student fee that is paid once at the beginning of the year. It serves to pay for each grade to support “Feeding the Homeless” as well as the purchase of supplies to make an auction item for the Spring Gala fundraising event.
Uniforms: Uniforms can be purchased through Flynn & O’Hara. They can be contacted either online at www.flynnohara.com or by visiting their Richmond store in the Stein Mart Shopping Center at 9722 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond, VA 23235. There are also used uniforms available for purchase throughout the school year. Items are $2/each. Please see front office for more details.
For those who qualify for need-based aid grants are awarded annually. There is no full financial aid – – all families are required to pay some portion of tuition. We encourage all eligible students to apply and will assist you in completing the simple process. Information can only be accessed by decision makers.
All families seeking financial aid from Saint Benedict Catholic School must complete a Financial Aid application with FACTS. This includes completing a Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) and uploading supporting tax documents by March 01, 2016.
The following information is required in order for FACTS to process your application:
- Completed online application http://www.factstuitionaid.com.
- Payment of the $30 application fee.
- Copies of both parents’ 201 W2s and 1040s, including all schedules.
- Copies of supporting documentation for Social Security Income, Welfare, Child Support, Food Stamps, Workers’ Compensation and TANF.
- Fax supporting documents by March 1, 201 to: 1-866-315-9264 (access to FAX machines may be available at our school)
FACTS will verify tax documents, review the PFS, and recommend an estimated family contribution. Based upon FACTS recommendation, the school’s financial aid budget, and overall need of the applicant pool, the Financial Aid Committee will determine and communicate awards the first week of May.
Financial Aid FAQs
- 1) Will applying for financial aid affect my child’s chance for admission?
- No. A student’s acceptance to school is based on merit without regard to the need for financial aid.
- 2) How is my financial aid determined?
- Financial aid awards are based on available funds, the number of applicants applying for aid, and the financial needs of the family. Once the application has been submitted, the application process through FACTS will take approximately two to four weeks. Please note that once FACTS has established an award amount, the Diocese of Richmond will then review and notify the Principal, Mr. Sean Cruess, of any additional awards. The family will then be notified when a final award amount has been decided.
- 3) After receiving the financial aid award, we still simply can’t afford the tuition. Is it possible to appeal the financial aid committee’s decision?
- Our committee will reconsider any written information that was not previously considered. If you feel that you have omitted or not appropriately clarified specific financial information, mention this in your written appeal. All appeals must be received by the school principal, Mr. Sean Cruess within one week of the original award.
- 4) If we are awarded financial aid this year, will we have to apply for aid each year?
- Yes, you will. Families of returning student(s) are required to re-apply for financial aid. The deadlines for filing for financial aid are the same for returning students as they are for new students and should be strictly met. It is also imperative that bills from the current school year be paid up to date at the time of applying for financial aid for the next school year.
- What grades are offered?
- What are school hours?
- 8:10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday for grades K thru 8th. (Note JrK hours vary by program selected)
- Kindergarten is a full day
- Before and after school care is available through our Extended Day Program. Please see brochure.
Do you have to be Catholic to apply?
Saint Benedict Catholic School is a faith-based school that is open to both Catholic and non-Catholic families. We offer priority enrollment for siblings of currently-enrolled students and parishioner families, followed by non-parishioner Catholic families, and then non-Catholics.
Is financial aid available and how/when do I apply?
Need-based financial aid is available (see enclosed info sheet). All applications for aid are made online at www.factstuitionaid.com.
Note: Applications for Round 1 considerations are due in February for the upcoming academic year.
Do you have resources for children who are above grade level or need extra help?
8th grade students will have the opportunity to graduate with high school credits in Algebra I, Earth Science, and World History.
We are fortunate to have highly qualified teacher aides who provide additional assistance outside the classroom in grades K-2, as well as a licensed Title 1 Resource teacher for all elementary grade levels.
Where do Saint Benedict graduates typically attend high school?
The goal at St. Benedict Catholic School is to prepare students for acceptance at any high school of their choice. In four of the past five years, we have had students accepted to the highly competitive Maggie Walker Governor’s School.
Additional schools that our students are accepted to are:
- Benedictine College Preparatory
- St .Gertrude Catholic High School
- St. Catherine’s School
- St. Christopher’s School
- The Steward School
- Trinity Episcopal School
- Open High School
- Public Schools – Various specialty centers/programs
Jr. Kindergarten – 8th Grade
Thank you for your interest in Saint Benedict Catholic School. We look forward to assisting you with the application process. Please contact our Admissions Director, Stacey Gormley, at 804-254-8850 or email@example.com.