Saint Benedict Parochial School is a Catholic elementary and middle school recognized by Virginia’s Department of Education and approved by the Virginia Council for Private Education (VCPE). It is accredited by the Virginia Catholic Education Association (VCEA) and AdvancED.
Saint Benedict Parochial School is an outgrowth of the old Saint Mary School, which was formerly located in downtown Richmond and was staffed by the Notre Dame Sisters. In 1868, the Benedictine Sisters replaced the sisters of Notre Dame. By 1884, there were approximately 217 children in Saint Mary Parochial School.
In 1919, on the corner of Grove and Belmont Avenues, Saint Benedict Parochial School opened, with classes being held temporarily in the convent. Sister Edward Galloway, O.S.B. was the first principal of the school, which replaced the old Saint Mary School. The convent was moved in 1923, to make room for the proposed school building. Excavation for the new building was begun immediately and was completed in 1924. By the late 1940’s, the school was no longer large enough to accommodate the increasing number of students, so an addition was built in 1949.
Today, Saint Benedict Catholic School continues to offer a traditional education in a faith-filled environment. Our graduates continue their education at local Catholic high schools, Governor’s school, or in the public school system. Wherever they go, they take the legacy of academic excellence and Catholic formation acquired at Saint Benedict.